About Richmond College Prep Schools:
Richmond College Prep (RCP) is a K-8 charter school serving children in Richmond and the surrounding neighborhoods. Our vision is to close the achievement gap, by eliminating the inequalities of education in Richmond, Coronado, and Santa Fe neighborhoods. Academic excellence, strong moral character, and cultural enrichment are the core values of our school. RCP has ranked the #1 school in Richmond many years in a row.
Under the immediate direction of the directors, to develop and implement an Interpersonal Skills Program in the elementary and middle schools through whole class and small group counseling and instructional strategies. Help students achieve self-understanding and self-respect, meeting the demands of interpersonal relations, school academic and behavioral expectations, and, to assist in the establishment and maintenance of a positive school climate.
Supervised and directed by the upper and lower school directors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide whole class counseling and instruction to students in the areas of decision making, problem solving and coping skills.
- Provide individual and group guidance and counseling sessions.
- Provide in-service training for school staff and parents concerning improved communication skills, behavior management and interpersonal relationship skills.
- May attend Individual Educational Plan (IEP) and Student Success Team (SST) meetings when appropriate or as requested.
- Interpret student behavior to teachers and parents in order to promote a better learning environment for students.
- Provide counseling to students with discipline and attendance problems.
- Confer with the Directors regarding supplementary counseling needs for students.
- Assist in identifying community agencies that may be able to help students, parents and staffs’ resolve special student needs.
- Assist in the recording of student information on student school records.
- Provide group instruction which promotes the establishment and maintenance of pupil behavioral standards needed to ensure an orderly and productive school environment.
- Develop and implement lessons which motivate and encourage students to achieve their potential which enable them to develop and retain a positive self concept.
- Coordinate and deliver a comprehensive health education program including family and sexuality studies in compliance with the California Healthy Youth Act 2016.
- May be asked to assist in other areas during emergency situations.
- May assist with school supervision.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Possession of a valid services credential with a specialization in pupil personnel services.
- At least three (3) years of successful elementary and/or middle school level counseling experience.
- A Master’s Degree, preferably with a major in counseling, psychology or a related field.
- Experience working with diverse groups of students and families.
- Preference will be given to persons with certificated teaching experience in public elementary and/or middle school levels.